My wife and I moved into our new place at the beach in early 2012. I thought this sleepy part of San Francisco would be boring and I would never see anything interesting.
I was very wrong. In the last eighteen months I’ve already seen:
- Battleship USS Iowa, under tow, passing through the Golden Gate
- Two MH-47 Chinooks (160th Aviation Regiment)
- Several F-18 Hornets (NAS Lemoore?)
- Two F-16s (Hill Air Force Base, West Coast Viper Demonstration Team)
- One HH-60 Pave Hawk (129th Rescue Wing, Moffet Field)
- One F-22 Raptor (Holloman Air Force Base)
- HMCS Brandon, HMCS Edmonton, HMCS Algonquin
- USS Spruance, USS Preble
- Three CH-53E Sea Stallions
- One LCAC
- One P-51 Mustang
- USCGC Bertholf
- USCGC Sherman
- Space Shuttle Endeavour, with F-15 Eagle chase plane.
- 2 MV-22 Ospreys
In the broader scope of the Bay Area, I’ve also seen:
- 2 C-17 Globemaster IIIs, accompanied by 7 fighters
- 1 AAV-7 amphibious tractor
- Blue Angels’ C-130 Fat Albert
Some things like the Endeavour and the Iowa, I’ll never see again. At least around these parts. I’ve been fortunate to have etraordinarily good timing.